user_mobilelogo

Lunch in the Jungle

1963

Agip Jungle (1963)

Explorer meets cannibals. Rain puts out the wood fire. With AGIP, everyone - including the explorer - can still eat.

Advertising for Agip bottled gas

Film ban

Italy played a remarkable role in the development of the Dollywood studios. After WWll, economic sanctions were applied to Italy for its role in the war. As a result, Italian production companies were not allowed to produce commercial films abroad.
This prompted Joop Geesink to open his own production offices in Milan, Italy, and all of a sudden he no longer was a "foreign" film producer. This resulted in a relatively high number of Italian film projects which continued even after the economic sanctions were lifted.

As an additional bonus, Italy was an attractive base of operation for his other production company STARFILM, which specialized in live action films. 

80-20 rule

The Italian government ordered that all commercial films for cinema use had to have a content of approx. 80% entertainment, leaving a meagre 20% for their sales pitch (the exact arrangement cannot be verified at this point). Consequently, their already deliberate pace slowed down even more before making their point.

Foto (links) Agip - Jungle (1963) - rechts: Prestige - Jungle (1962)

Trivia:

In 1962, a similar film was made for Prestige, Jungle Prestige (1962). Puppets and sets are very familiar.

Pranzo Nella Jungla (Agip- Jungle) 1963
Pranzo Nella Jungla (Agip- Jungle) 1963
Pranzo Nella Jungla (Agip- Jungle) 1963
Pranzo Nella Jungla (Agip- Jungle) 1963

Credits

Title: Pranzo Nella Jungla
(Lunchtime in the Jungle) 
Client:Agip Gaz
Duration:3,5 minuut
Year of production:1963
                                                      Art Director:
Onbekend (Jan Coolen)?
Music:onbekend
Animation:Guus Harmsen
Puppets:
Harry Tolsma
Format:35 mm, Technicolor
Back to animation film index